The Solid Waste Department is responsible for solid and hazardous waste management, recycling, and a variety of environmental and resource management functions. Solid Waste is funded by landfill fees alone, and receives no tax dollars. To learn more about what we do, please visit our website by clicking here.
The Senior Landfill Equipment Operator places, fills, compacts, and covers trash and solid waste at landfill.
Essential job duties include but are not limited to:
- Operating heavy equipment used at a landfill in a safe, efficient, and responsible manner; operating equipment such as compactor, track loader, dozer, road grader, scraper, water truck, and tandem dump truck.
- Excavating fill dirt and stockpile various commodities.
- Blading and grading access roads, pushes snow, and levels fill dirt over trash platform.
- Inspecting equipment for broken, missing, or worn parts; performing routine maintenance on equipment.
- Pioneering and reclaiming cut areas; removing and hauling dirt from high hills and banks.
- Building and maintaining roadways at the landfill and fill low spots.
- Setting up and operating grade checking equipment, laser, and instrument.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Operation and maintenance of a variety of heavy power driven equipment.
- Safe work practices and procedures.
- Solid waste management practices.
- County policies and procedures pertaining to landfill facilities.
- Operate the full range of landfill equipment in a highly skilled manner.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment.
- Work weekends.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
To see the complete job description and list of Physical Requirements for this position, click here.
- Three years of experience in a directly related field or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities.
- High school diploma or GED required supplemented by training in equipment operation and maintenance.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid CDL.
- An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen. As marijuana is an illegal substance under federal law, testing positive for marijuana (medical or otherwise) or any other substance for which the county tests, will result in the contingent offer of employment being revoked. A successful completion of the drug screen is defined as obtaining a negative result
We are excited for you to join our team!