Natural Resources manages Larimer County's great outdoor places, including open spaces and magnificent water-based recreation areas, and fosters responsible land stewardship through weed management and healthy forest practices. The Department of Natural Resources has 40+ benefited employees and 125+ seasonal and part time employees.
Our mission is to establish, protect, and manage significant regional parks and open lands providing quality outdoor recreational opportunities and stewardship of natural resource values. We are committed to fostering a sense of community and appreciation for the natural and agricultural heritage of Larimer County for present and future generations.
Larimer County Department of Natural Resources is seeking a skilled and talented individual to join our team.
Specifically this position will:
- Conduct inspections of boats launching and leaving Carter Lake and Horsetooth Reservoir for aquatic invasive species for the purpose of preventing the spread of such invasive species. Quarantine and decontaminate infected vessels.
- Provide information to visitors on aquatic invasive species and initiatives to prevent their spread. Explain applicable rules and regulations and distribute printed educational materials to visitors.
- Advise park visitors of recreational opportunities and public use regulations.
- Greet a wide variety of park visitors in a friendly, welcoming, and helpful manner, and communicate effectively with a wide diversity of individuals and groups.
- Supervisory duties will be assigned.
- Supervise a crew engaged in boat inspections and/or act as a lead worker to less experienced seasonal workers.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Coordinates Training for Boat Inspectors
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring and supervising seasonal boat inspectors.
- Oversee the budget for the ANS Program.
Larimer County is located in north central Colorado. It is the 6th largest county in Colorado based on population. The county extends to the Continental Divide and includes several mountain communities and Rocky Mountain National Park. Larimer County encompasses 2,640 square miles that include some of the finest irrigated farmland in the state, as well as vast stretches of scenic ranch lands, forest and high mountain peaks. Over 50% of Larimer County is publicly owned, most of which is land within Roosevelt National Forest and Rocky Mountain National Park. In addition to these federal lands, Colorado State Parks and Recreation and Larimer County Parks and Open Spaces combine to provide a wide spectrum of recreational opportunities that are enjoyed by both residents and visitors.
- High School Diploma or GED desired
- At least 1 year supervisory experience
- Pass the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Stage II Watercraft Inspector and Decontaminator Certification (training & certificaiton provided as part of employment)
- Basic computer skills including all Microsoft applications
Other Information to Note:
- This is a temporary, full time position, working up to 40 hours/week March - November as needed.
- Shift-work, nights, weekends, and holidays may be required.
- Work schedules are subject to change depending on weather and visitation.
- This position is eligible for medical benefits.
- An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen and background test. As marijuana is an illegal substance under federal law, testing positive for marijuana (medical or otherwise) or any other substance for which the county tests, will result in the contingent offer of employment being revoked. A successful completion of the drug screen is defined as obtaining a negative result.
- This posting is "Open until filled" and may close at any time. Once we begin the interview process, we may not consider additional applicants unless a candidate is not hired from the interview pool.