The Education Center Attendant provides tours and information for visitors at the Solid Waste's Garbage Garage Education Center at the Landfill relating to waste disposal and reducing, reusing, recycling, composting, landfills, and household hazardous wastes. Position reports to the Solid Waste Environmental Educator.
Hours: Wednesdays and Fridays, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Occasional additional hours and Saturday hours for special events.
Specifically this position:
- Presents information to tour groups and visitors of all ages.
- Supervises tour groups and visitors. Adheres to all safety guidelines and procedures.
- Assists drop-in visitors and engages them in activities as requested.
- Sets up and closes the Education Center following set guidelines.
- Keeps the Education Center clean and safe.
- Performs customer service and reception duties for the Education Center; directs callers and visitors to appropriate department or person; takes written messages.
- Conducts tours of the recycling center, household hazardous waste facility, and landfill.
- Assists with special events both on-site and off-site.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Speak publicly.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Gmail, Google docs, sheets and calendar.
- Learn about waste management.
- Supervise the Education Center alone while waiting for the occasional drop-in visitor.
- Work with a variety of age groups, especially children, and people of different backgrounds.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- One year of experience, preferably in customer service and/or equivalent education.
- Prefer some experience with public speaking and/or education.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen. As marijuana is an illegal substance under federal law, testing positive for marijuana (medical or otherwise) or any other substance for which the county tests, will result in the contingent offer of employment being revoked. A successful completion of the drug screen is defined as obtaining a negative result.