The Ranch, Larimer County Fairgrounds and Events Complex is seeking an enthusiastic, highly motivated, skilled Accountant to join our dynamic team. This is a unique opportunity to make your mark during a period of expansion for this department of Larimer County. The Ranch, Larimer County’s Fairgrounds and Event Center offers a wide variety of entertainment including equine events, sporting events, concerts, trade shows, conferences, banquets and The Larimer County Fair & Rodeo. This position is newly created and will offer the opportunity to be involved with the implementation of a new financial system as well as a master plan which will define the future of the campus while continuing the ongoing daily/ monthly/annual financial needs of the organization. The role of this position will be to provide meaningful cost and performance data for management to make informed decisions about our business.
Some core responsibilities include; job cost reporting, cost analysis, general ledger reconciliations, tracking vendor contracts and purchase orders, assist in budget preparation and tracking of infrastructure assets, make suggestions and implement changes to our cost accounting system.
- May supervise technician or administrative support work through direct guidance.
- Receives intermittent supervision from management personnel.
- Prepare and perform analysis of financial information to determine present and future financial performance. Provide and interrupt financial information for program managers.
- Assist in coordination of month end closing process including reconciliations and reporting
- Reconciles financial system and subsystems such as Event Management System.
- Monthly sales tax reporting to the state and city.
- Audit and process payment for various contracts and miscellaneous expenses.
- Audits contracts, purchase orders, vouchers, and invoices for validity and proper recording in the general ledger and sub ledgers.
- Assist in the preparation of annual budget including capital project spending. Monitor and revise throughout the year as needed.
- Participate in analysis required for ongoing master plan implementation on the campus.
- Maintain accounting files by reviewing and analyzing a variety of accounting transactions for accuracy and propriety and by preparing adjusting journal entries as required.
- Coordinates and conducts the annual physical inventory of Department equipment and fixed assets and verifies data submitted.
- Assists auditors in annual audit, including retrieving and preparing supporting documentation or responding to questions.
- Conduct internal reviews of existing accounting systems; prepare financial reports.
- Make recommendations for improving efficiencies for various financial processes.
- Evaluate internal policies and procedures against best practices for internal control.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Automated financial management systems.
- Modern office methods, practices, procedures and equipment.
- Application of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures to a variety of accounting audits, transactions and problems.
- Governmental accounting principles and practices.
- Financial research and report preparation methods and techniques.
- Prepare a variety of routine financial statements, reports and analyses.
- Apply accounting principles to the maintenance of financial and accounting transactions and audit of financial records.
- Apply Federal, State and local laws and regulations to accounting and auditing work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally in writing.
- Examine and verify a wide variety of financial documents and reports.
- Prepare a variety of complex financial statements, reports and analyses.
To see the complete job description for this position, click here.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required.
- Three (3) – six (6) years relevant experience required.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen. As marijuana is an illegal substance under federal law, testing positive for marijuana (medical or otherwise) or any other substance for which the county tests, will result in the contingent offer of employment being revoked. A successful completion of the drug screen is defined as obtaining a negative result.
All application components must be submitted by 10:00 PM MT on the closing date listed.