*Please note that this is a reposting of the most recent announcement for the Building Permit Technician. If you applied to the last posting you need not apply again as we have your information in our system.
The Larimer County Community Development Department is seeking an experienced and customer service centric individual to join our team as a Building Permit Technician. This position performs a variety of responsible, specialized and technical administrative and clerical duties to support the public, developers, contractors, homeowners, and staff. A Building Permit Technician answers questions and explains policies and procedures to the public and staff, and receives, reviews, and properly routes building permit applications and plans.
Specifically, this job:
- Explains policies and procedures on the Building Code and the Land Use Code to current and prospective applicants to facilitate the permit application and review process.
- Responds to technical questions and complaints and provides information to the public and referral agencies over the phone and at the counter.
- Screens all permit applications, including structural permits, to ensure compliance with submittal requirements; checks for accuracy, completeness, compliance, and makes corrections as needed; conducts research if needed and makes necessary corrections to comply with the application process.
- Coordinates, processes, and performs administrative review on all permit applications; assesses final fee calculations; adds square footage calculations in the computer and computes fees based on valuation. Conducts research on properties for existing building permits and processes renewal applications of building permits.
- Researches and tracks inspections needed to coordinate, organize, and prepare miscellaneous and structural permit expiration notices. Provides follow up calls to permit holders regarding expiration letters and enforces the building code policy for expiration and extension.
- Processes Certificate of Occupancy documents after final inspections are approved.
- Enters data in the computer system for all permit applications, tracks the data from beginning to completion of the application, and maintains the individual permit files and accuracy of information.
- Processes contractor licensing applications and renewals.
- Monitors, coordinates, and schedules meetings and assists with the organization of the building staff.
Watch this brief video to learn about the Community Development Division and the services we provide to Larimer County.
- Two (2) years general or legal office experience involving heavy public contact and computer usage; experience in building construction highly desirable.
- High School diploma or GED with supplemental coursework in general clerical and computer functions; additional coursework related to construction or building codes is highly desirable.
Other Information to Note:
- An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen. As marijuana is an illegal substance under federal law, testing positive for marijuana (medical or otherwise) or any other substance for which the county tests, will result in the contingent offer of employment being revoked. A successful completion of the drug screen is defined as obtaining a negative result.
- This position will close at 10:00 PM on the closing date listed.